Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

ART: Thankyou Sean Cliver

Last night I was in an artshow in Brisbane called 'I Used To Skate Once'. Big thanks to Matt for inviting me, very appreciated. If you're in Brisbane check out his stores The Outpost and Blonde Venus!


This is the board I exhibited:


It's a recreation of the first new skateboard that I ever got.

It was given to me for Xmas in 1992 by my Uncle Mal. It's a Powell Peralta, Frankie Hill and it's been at the core of my skateboard collecting disorder for about the last 10 years. I decided a long time ago that I would try and hunt down an unused one, turns out they were produced at a time when Powell was all but going out of business, trying to adjust to the new coming of brands at the time, so they weren't making the huge runs of graphics they had been. It was a tough board to find but I persisted and eventually, about 10 years after I started looking I got lucky and found one unused. The board has a special significance, it was the board that really committed me to skateboarding, and in turn skateboarding has gone on to define the path of my life.

I thank my Uncle Mal so much for buying me that board, for always being so supportive of me as a skateboarder and of course to Sean Cliver for creating such an amazing piece of artwork. I hope you don't mind that it's almost an exact copy, it's supposed to be of course.

Here's the original, it's tucked nicely away somewhere safe and it's not one of those C&D pieces of shit, it's an amazing piece of wood thats for sure:


Cheers Troy

1 comments:

Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Love the blog troy and really love your work up here. So glad you got that sooper dooper tip find today! "beautiful paulie" belongs in your home!!!!!!!!!!!
have a good one.
from camilla ;-)